Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kimchi on trial as eczema therapy. Not convinced

Those of you who are fans of probiotics, especially kimchi, will be thrilled to know that scientists recently reported the results of a trial testing kimchi-extracted bacteria as a treatment for eczema.

The researchers, led by Jihyun Kim at Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine in Seoul, conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled test of a strain of Lactobacillus plantarum in 118 eczema patients. L. plantarum is apparently a major species of bacteria found in Korean pickled cabbage, or kimchi, and a previous study showed that it had promise in a mouse model of eczema.

The idea behind probiotics is the hygiene hypothesis: in short, that being dirty is good for you (I'm pretty sure that most research shows that, if this is true, it holds only for kids during the first few years when their immune systems are developing). Proper balance of gut flora might tilt your immune system more toward a type 1 helper T cell-run operation rather than one dominated by type 2 Th cells, which are possibly over-represented in eczema patients. So: eat friendly bugs and reduce your chances of developing allergic disease.

The scientists split their subjects into a test group and a control group. From what I can tell they did as good a job as anyone could to make sure the results were not biased by expectation.

However, while they present their data openly in the paper, they claim it shows that L. plantarum clearly reduced symptoms of eczema, as measured by self-assessed quality of life as well as lab-quantified levels of immune cells and signaling molecules.

When I look at their data it says no such thing. In fact, it says that within experimental bounds, L. plantarum does nothing at all. I am surprised the journal editors allowed them to make those claims--but as always, maybe I'm missing something.

The trial was published in the journal Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, and paid for by the CJ Cheiljedang Corporation, which manufactures probiotic capsules of L. plantarum.

Thanks to reader K.M.O. for the tip.

3 comments:

  1. I tried the probiotics thing for a while. I noticed absolutely no change in my skin. So far, the only thing that does anything at all for me is cortisone, keeping a strict moisturizing regimen and avoiding dairy, wheat and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My impression from reading the scientific literature is that probiotics might be useful for eczema in the first two or three years of life. After that, sure, they might help your digestion and overall health, but they don't do anything specifically for eczema. However, a lot of people want to believe in probiotics, and they don't do any harm, so they're always going to be around as a benign placebo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS

    Herpes is a serious and recurring condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by DR JAMES , but the best way to fight against herpes virus is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of HIV virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and I was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases Herbal cream for Eczema,vaginal dermatitis,Shingles,MS,Bullous Pemphigoid,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism,malasma,vaginal rashes, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete